You’re either aware or you’re not — aware in present time and present space — aware of reality inside yourself and around yourself– or not!
Which is more functional?
Watch our video and see what YOU think!
- Website, blog, podcasts, videos, online interviews with researchers/teachers/recognized authorities, focusing on “human consciousness skills”; “the human attention system”; “mindfulness”; “mindsight”; “mindset”; cognitive science; affective science; interpersonal neurobiology; evolutionary psychology; social psychology.
- Successful Book for general “mainstream” audience, synthesizing the research in clear, easily-accessible tone, but without “dumbing it down.”
- Books, manuals & web content (including audio & video), for parents, for teachers, for coaches, therapists, and even for children, to encourage “present reality awareness/attention skills” as fundamental for optimal functionality (success & happiness) in all areas of life.
The Main Message:
- We human beings are animals, and there is no adult animal on the planet (other than humans and perhaps animals domesticated by humans) that could survive very long without being alert in present reality most every minute.
- Animals don’t need any special training to be aware in present reality.
- Human babies, when they are fed and rested and feel safe (and not over-stimulated) have a natural alertness, awareness, interest, curiosity, about the present reality around them – they don’t need any special training either. They just need to feel safe in the moment.
- Being aware in present reality – internally and externally – is as natural and basic for human beings as it is for every other species of animal.
- Being aware in present reality is optimally functional for all animals, including us humans. The more skilled one is (animal or human) at consistently being aware of oneself and one’s surroundings in present reality, the better one is able to live, choose, problem solve, relate, take care of oneself, in each moment and situation of daily life.
One of the core aspects of most every LGIBooks project is an interview series with experts, such as, researchers, teachers, therapists or other relevant experts. For OUR CULTURE NORMALIZES MINDLESSNESS we would start with interviewing many of the scientists and researchers and writers in the Research Support section.
We would also focus on “mindfulness experts” and “attention experts”– any therapist, teacher, or coach who focuses on helping people improve their “mindfulness” and “attention skills.”
If you have expertise related to research, teaching or therapy in helping adults and children improve their mindfulness/awareness/attention skills and would be interested in being interviewed or know someone who you think would be great for us to interview, let us know.
The Mindfulness Market.
The “mindfulness market” is a large and growing market, and one aim of this project would be to help expand the term “mindfulness” to be more associated with basic present-reality attention skills in every day life. While the science is unequivocal that mindfulness training can improve performance in one’s daily life, there is still a sense that “mindfulness training” is mostly a “spiritual practice” (or even a Buddhist practice) and more about “withdrawing from the world” than about helping one be more functional in daily life.
The Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Personal Development Market
It’s difficult (if not impossible) to improve oneself, one’s functionality & happiness in the world, without improving one’s present-reality skills (especially one’s awareness-of-self-in-present-reality skills). This is a large market, at least in the United States, and it includes Therapists, Personal Development/Business Coaches, and Seminar Leaders/motivational speakers.
The Parenting/Healthy Child Development Market
Present-reality attention skills might just be one of the most important skills for parents to teach/model for their children. We think it is. The parenting market is a large market, and there is a growing “mindfulness” niche in the parenting market.
The Education Market
Obviously an important audience for this message. For many children, school teaches them how to focus only on abstract logical fact information and actually encourages attention habits that distract and detract from developing good “mindfulness” or present-reality attention habits. There is also a “mindfulness” market in education.
The Athletic Skills Market
This would include parents, young children’s coaches (soccer, baseball, football, etc.), as well as high school, college and elite level athletic coaches. The best athletes at any level are those who are best at staying focused in present reality (inside and around themselves)each moment of the practice and the game. With the right care, encouragement and direction, most any child could improve his or her present-reality attention skills (i.e improve his/her mindfulness skills).
The Business Success Market
Certainly present-reality/mindfulness skills are important for optimal effectiveness and success in the business/career context. There is also a growing interest in mindfulness in the workplace. See for example Wisdom 2.0
A non-fiction writer or science writer who resonates with the Main Message and Basic Principles of OUR CULTURE NORMALIZES MINDLESSNESS, who wants to work collaboratively with LGIBooks’ unique audio-system for developing content, who would be skilled and eager to do the researching and interviewing necessary for integrating/synthesizing the most relevant research that supports these profound, yet basic, attentional/awarenesss and performance skills.
A psychotherapist who resonates with the simple, yet profound message of OUR CULTURE NORMALIZES MINDLESSNESS and wants to make it a focus of his/her therapy and teach these principles to a broad audience (speaking, videos, online classes)
A human nature scientist/researcher (Ph.D. level in any discipline related to human “attentional science”) involved in some facet of research related to these present-reality, mindfulness, awareness principles
A teacher/educator who wants to “Educate the Culture” about these principles — could be a teacher to the culture in the broadest sense or a teacher/educator in one or more of our niche areas (see above in Target Audiences) Could also be an Athletic Coach
A publishing professional who sees the success potential of this project, or is intrigued enough to want to hear more about how the culture normalizes mindlessness.